The CPU Throttling overheating protection feature is a problem faced by laptop owners who have bought a new power supply instead of a branded one. The PC suddenly starts to work much worse, even with light loads. Next, you’ll read how to get it back to normal.
What is CPU Throttling Overheating Detected
CPU Throttling – a function to reduce the temperature of the PC: due to throttling, the frequency of the processor is reduced and overheating is avoided. This mechanism is provided on some laptops to protect them from damage. A message with the text: “CPU Throttling Overheating Detected” appears when a non-original power supply is connected, but remember that this may not be true. Even if you purchased a power supply that meets all technical requirements and does not threaten the processor, such a notification may occur. This function can be turned off, but first it is worth checking the power supply:
- Compare the data of the new power supply unit with the original one: do all the indicators match? Power, voltage and current must be absolutely identical. At the slightest discrepancy, it is better to refuse to use the power supply .
- Make sure it is working properly and that there are no electrical problems in your home.
- Check if the inside of the laptop is clogged with dust: perhaps the problem is not in the power supply, but in real overheating.
Just in case, vacuum the laptop vent or spray it with compressed air to keep the processor from getting hotter.
What to do and how to remove CPU throttling
Disable throttling is only worthwhile if you are absolutely sure of the need for such a step. If something is wrong with the power supply or with the current supply, the unprotected processor can burn out. To disable the function, you will need to use the third-party ThrottleStop program. It is not easy to use, but it is effective. Download the software from the developer’s site and run it – no installation required. Next, a window will appear with numerous settings: they are selected depending on the type of processor and laptop manufacturer. For Dell equipment, there is a separate BD PROCHOT section – uncheck it, and also do not forget to enable the permanent action of the program via the Turn On and Save buttons to save the settings. Disable Intel CPU throttlingand others through the Clock Modulation, Chipset Modulation, Set Multiplier, Turbo Boost or C1E options. Let’s dwell on each of them in detail:
- Clock Modulation, Chipset Modulation will help limit throttling, if it is initiated directly by the CPU or Motherboard: by correcting the values, you will achieve increased productivity. Look at what the Mod column shows in the general form: everywhere there should be a number 100. If not, set the indicators to 100% on the left, opposite the parameter names, and the problem will disappear.
- Set Multiplier allows you to manually adjust the CPU power you want. Here we are interested in the “Multiplier” item – set it to 80-90% so that the performance is high enough, but not maximum. A mark of 100% may cause overheating.
- Turbo Boost does not always help, but it can periodically increase the CPU frequency when there is such a need, for example, when using resource-intensive programs. If you do not want to drastically change the performance indicators , try turning this feature on and working – it may be enough.
- C1E is an option that should only decrease performance in standby mode when you are not using a laptop, but sometimes it does not work correctly and even applies to the period of operation. Try disabling it – sometimes it fixes the problem.